Based on this recipe. I increased the squid since, of course, I won’t be serving it with pasta. This is a bit soupy and very delicious.
- 1 kg squid, cleaned, bodies cut into strips and tentacles left whole
- one large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- pinch of crushed chilis
- 1/4 cup of capers
- 1 cup pitted olives, I used kalamata (I didn’t chop them – just crushed them to get the pits out)
- 1 small can of chopped tomatoes or two large tomatoes chopped (I used some roasted tomatoes I had in the freezer)
- salt and pepper
- In large pan for which you have a lid, fry the onions and garlic in some oil until they just start to brown.
- Season with pepper.
- Add the capers, olives and a splash of marsala and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the squid. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low until tender. I only cooked it for about 45 minutes – the original recipe called for 3 hours. The sauce should have reduced a little, the squid will be nice and tender and the flavors from the briny olive and capers should be present. Check for seasoning and add salt if necessary (I found the olives and capers plenty salty), pepper, or some lemon juice if you like.