Based on this recipe. This is not a particularly low cost recipe in general, but it used ingredients I had on hand, so it was low cost to me.
- 1 1/2 cups shelled hemp seeds
- 2 cups strawberries (mine were frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 cacao nibs (I’d increase this by a bit if I made it again)
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (melt over low heat till liquid)
- Soak the hemp seeds for 30 minutes then strain and discard the water.
- In a blender, blend the cacao nibs until they become a powder.
- Add the xylitol and continue blending until it is powdered.
- Add the hemp seeds, strawberries, water, vanilla, and salt and blend until smooth.
- Taste – I found it sweet enough, but if you don’t you can add stevia or another sweetener if needed to sweeten to your taste.
- Add the coconut oil and continue blending until very smooth.
- Transfer to a baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- At this point, I put soy milk in the blender to pick up the mixture that had stuck to the sides. It made a good smoothie!
- Cut into squares.