I went berry picking today. It was the end of the season, so I ended up with mostly tiny berries. Picking and hulling them was time consuming, but the flavour is great. I ran out of lemon juice, so this is what I put together based on what I had on hand. It set up nicely and tastes great. I didn’t feel like canning it, so I just put the jars in the freezer.
- 5 cups crushed strawberries (I started with about 3 L of strawberries)
- 2 Tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1 pkg No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
- 1 1/2 cups xylitol
- 1/4 tsp. stevia
- Crush strawberries one layer at a time. Measure crushed strawberries and vinegar into a large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Whisk in No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin until dissolved. Stir in the xylitol.
- Stirring constantly, bring fruit mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Stirring frequently, boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim foam.
- Quickly ladle hot jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Let the jam cool to room temperature then store in the refrigerator or freezer.